I LOVE JAMAICAN FOOD! Like.. seriously, LOVE!!
When I lived in NYC, my friends and I use to go to this amazing Jamaican carry out in the Bronx with the best oxtail, jerk chicken and the brown stew chicken... OMG!
So this past weekend, I made my version of brown stew chicken. Now listen, I am not Jamaican and I feel like every Jamaican has their super secret recipe (Hi Nyrie!) in to how they make these authentic dishes. I tried stew chicken on the stove top and it was a major fail, it had no flavor at all and the chicken was tough so I decided to try it in the crock pot and let me tell you.. IT CAME OUT SO GOOD!
What I love about crockpot cooking, you just add everything in there and let that baby do its thang! Try the recipe below and remember, tag #JustAddHotSauce
- 1 pack of skinless & boneless chicken thighs (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 2-3 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh tyhme
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small habanero pepper, finely minced (or 2 if you like it spicy, like me!)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Add a little EVOO in your crock pot while it is heating up. Add in the chopped onions, garlic, ginger, red bell peppers, thyme & habanero pepper.
2. Add the brown sugar, ketchup, paprika, hot sauce and browning sauce. Remember add salt & pepper to taste.
3. Add in the cubed raw chicken. Stir everything together to make sure the chicken is covered with everything.
4. Pour the chicken broth over everything. Put the lid on and cover on low heat for about two hours. Stir occasionally. Add salt & pepper to your liking.
5. Serve over rice & beans!
Cheers to eating!